Tuesday 7 June 2011

Spinal Crap

I finally had my appointment today at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, regarding the symptoms I've had for the past 3 months. I have a lesion on my spinal cord at the level of C3. This lesion is an area inflammation which has caused damage to the myelin sheath (demyelination) of nearby nerves. The nerves that are no longer insulated are sending out constant electrical currents causing continuous tingling and burning to my right hand and a shooting 'buzz' down my spine, legs and left hand when I tip my head forwards.
The diagnosis is 'Acute Transverse Myelitis'; Acute because it came on quickly, Transverse because it is across the spine at one level and Myelitis because the myelin which should protect the nerves is damaged. I currently only have one lesion - any more lesions in more areas would be diagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis.
Today I had the first of three doses of 1mg IVMP (intravenous methylprednisolone). The steroids might help to calm down the inflammation, encouraging the myelin sheath to regrow and alleviate the symptoms. This can take 6 weeks and up to 3 months. I go back on 5th July for a follow up.
I am being treated in the MS relapse clinic so am around people with similar, but mostly worse symptoms than me.
The steroids can have strong side affects on your personality... but as you can see, my character and behaviour have not been affected at all...


1 comment:

  1. Stay strong, I'm proud of you. And also, my tea's getting cold, just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete